Such a fitting thing to talk about near Thanksgiving; food.
When I think of mouth watering dishes, I think of home cooked meals.
My mother’s Chili, Fried Chicken, Lasagna, Spaghetti, and my personal favorite: Napa Valley Chicken.
Matt’s biscuits and gravy, french toast, and bacon first thing in the morning.
Atticus’s ribs, steaks, venison, and yes… even squirrel.
Kate’s and Hutch’s dinners. Hutch, my brother four years my junior, is cooking a huge Thanksgiving feast this year. It’s his first ever. This will be the first year I’ll be away from my family for a holiday, and it just so happens this looks like it’s going to be the best year. It’s going to be tough.
I can cook pretty well, I think. I won’t lie and say I’m the best in the family. I’ve given up the past few years. After working all day, I just can’t even muscle up the motivation to boil water. Not my proudest moments, but Matt and I get along just fine.
My family’s way of luring you over for dinner and trapping you for hours is with food. Kate is infamous for this. She’ll say, “You guys want to come over for dinner?” If we hesitate she sends out the hook, “I was going to cook (use your imagination) for dinner.” A couple of days later we are sitting around her kitchen counter eating and talking/gossiping.
If I had to choose out of everyone’s specialties what the most mouth-watering would be:
1. Meryl’s Napa Valley Chicken. This is the best damn use of chicken I’ve ever had the pleasure of tasting.
2. Atticus’s grilled Ribs. No one has cooked ribs as well as he used to with Stubbs sauce marinating them for hours, and cooking them until the meat fell off the bone. Chops licking good.
3. Matt’s Biscuits and Gravy or his Bar-B-Q Chicken. My man can cook ya’ll!
4. Kate’s Lasagna. The cheese…oh, the cheese.
5. Hutch’s compilation of Meryl’s Chili. He cooks it perfectly and I devour it.
I don’t know about ya’ll, but all of this talking about food is making me hungry!
[Small note for my fellow East Coaster’s: Stay safe out there today and tomorrow, guys. The weather is looking pretty nasty out there. I also saw on the news today, if you are traveling on I-40 for Thansgiving, they are going to have state troopers posted everyone 20 miles from the East Coast to Cali. Drive the speed limit and save yourself a ticket for the holidays!]